Design Manager Construction (Construction)
United Kingdom / London / HB Reavis
Design Management at HB Reavis is split into two areas. Stages 0 – 3 are the responsibility of the Product Design Manager (PDM) from Stage 4 to aftercare the responsibility shifts to the Delivery team and the Design Manager. Although the Design Manager is informed and consulted on design from Stage 1 onwards to ensure the requirements of the delivery team are met.
Instruction and Direction will be taken from the Head of Design and the Project Director. Close liaison with the Development, PDM, Construction and Commercial teams are required throughout the life of the project.
• Creation of and administration of design programmes to ensure that sufficient detail of design is delivered to the Commercial and Construction Team to enable timely procurement, manufacture and installation
• Agreeing deliverables for the design team to meet the package scopes
• Reviewing and statusing all design deliverables from both consultants and trade contractors
• Motivate the designers to produce information that best meets our needs
• Proposing new consultants and commenting on the suitability of consultants proposed
• Creation of Scopes of Deliverables for all consultants
• Review and comment on other design appointment documentation
• Agree fees, bonuses and variations with design consultants
• Manage the design consultant payment process including raising orders, placing instructions and agreeing invoices
• Strive for best practice in all practical elements of the design. Waterproofing, fire, sustainability, general compliance and others must all be of the highest levels to ensure our brand is best reflected in the workspaces we create.
• Work with the Product Design Manager to ensure that early-stage design from RIBA Stage 1 to Stage 3 are technically suitable and able to meet our quality, programme and cost aspirations.
• Technical reviews are lead by the Design Manager. This includes consulting with various stakeholders including Package Managers, Commercial Managers and especially our Head Office Technical Design Team who are subject experts that can be relied on to offer best practice advice and commentary on all designs.
• Designs must be clear, concise and timely. Any errors, uncoordinated items or incomplete designs cost HB Reavis money through poorly managed tender design that is unattractive to tenderers or contains “risk money”, reducing profit to us and potentially lowering the attractiveness of the end product to our building users
• Working with the Information Management and BIM teams to ensure information is available to end users and all parties as required
• Aid the team in the compilation and sign off of compliance requirements including Building Control, Planning Conditions, BREEAM, WELL, SmartScore, WiredScore, NABERS and other certification schemes as appropriate.
• Proactive collaboration with wider project team as well as on-site construction team
• Stunning workspaces that enhance people’s wellbeing
• Competitive salary and discretionary annual bonus
• Hybrid working set-up
• 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays
• Pension scheme, life assurance and group income protection
• £ 1,500 flexible benefits pot including options like gym membership, private medical insurance…
• Enhanced maternity / paternity package
• Season ticket loan options, cycle to work and nursery scheme, Discounts Club etc.
• Annual training budget
• Monthly team breakfast and lunch
• Volunteering days